Since I've been in the process of cleaning the studio and thinking about organization a lot, I started to think about online organization, tagging, categorizing, etc. Do you do it? Are you an expert? Do you even care?
I always had the thought that I really didn't care about tagging things (yes, this is coming from a library school student), because I thought of my blog as something for myself. Something that I would write and then it would go into the online abyss and if someone saw it, good, if not, I really wouldn't think about it. And even if I still had that philosophy, tagging would still help me. If I wrote a post about something and couldn't remember when I wrote it, tagging would help a little to sort through the mess.
But what about now? Now that I see the value of creating an online community of readers, other bloggers and the wandering passerby I am beginning to see the real need for an online organization scheme and I'm kicking myself for not starting this sooner. I have 443 blog posts on this blog and 3061 photos on flickr. Some of these have been tagged, but a big number (2318 on flickr) are untagged. I have some work to do.
Tags not only organize, but they help you be "found" if that's your bag. There are so many tools that read online tags I won't even go into it here, but there are tons! I would love to have more readers and online buddies so I'm willing to at least try and see what happens.
So I guess I have another goal this year... operation online organization.
- Find themes and categorize. This is something I have at least started here and on flickr with sets and typepad categories. I sometimes forget to use these, but at least I have a starting point.
- Do some research. Probably the more "fun" aspect of this goal. I want to find which tags are more popular and what the commonalities are among expert taggers.
- Make a list. After researching, I will need to make a list of tags that I will use most often and make room for additions.
- Start tagging. Definintely not for the weak in spirit. I think I can do it. Especially if I just buckle down for a weekend and do it!
- Reap the benefits! Hopefully becoming organized will help me find stuff that has been lost, help new friends find me, and make this the blogging fun I want it to be.
So what do you think? Is this a silly idea? Are you a faithful online organizer? I would love any tips any of you have!!