I am a big fan of pizza and I've been trying to make my own for years only to always come short. I just never can get it right. Sheldon isn't really a fan of any bread product that isn't whole wheat so I went looking for a whole wheat pizza recipe a few weeks ago and found this one which really isn't whole wheat because it has all-purpose flour in it. Here's what I did to make it whole wheat.
Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
- 1 teaspoon sugar or honey
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- In a large bowl, stir honey with warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the top, and let stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy.
- Stir the olive oil and salt into the yeast mixture, then mix in the whole wheat flour until dough starts to come together. Tip dough out onto a surface floured with the remaining all-purpose flour, and knead until all of the flour has been absorbed, and the ball of dough becomes smooth, about 10 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover loosely with a towel, and let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- When the dough is doubled, tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 2 pieces for 2 thin crust, or leave whole to make one thick crust. Form into a tight ball. Let rise for about 45 minutes, until doubled.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F . Roll a ball of dough with a rolling pin until it will not stretch any further. Then, drape it over both of your fists, and gently pull the edges outward, while rotating the crust. When the circle has reached the desired size, place on a well oiled pizza pan. Bake for 5 minutes then change the oven to 425 degrees.
- Top pizza with your favorite toppings, such as sauce, cheese, meats, or vegetables.
- Bake for 12 - 15 minutes , until the crust is crisp and golden at the edges, and cheese is melted on the top.
It made two very big pizzas and the dough froze really well too. It felt really good to make an amazing pizza at home. We topped ours with olive oil, mozzarella, tomatoes, and fresh basil.